[R-meta] Multilevel model between-study variance

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jul 10 21:08:55 CEST 2024

Hi Frederik,

These are very interesting questions (though also rather vexing!). From
what you've described, it sounds like you have 11 studies that contribute
just 1 or 2 effect size estimates each (for a total of 16 effects) plus one
dissertation with 25 effects.

To figure out how to approach modeling this, I think the first and probably
most important consideration is about the comparability or similarity of
the effects reported in the big dissertation versus the effects reported in
the other studies. Is the reason that the dissertation has so many more
effects that it reported effects on every sub-scale of three different
scales, while all of the other studies only reported effects for the full
scales? Or perhaps the dissertation reported effects for several interim
assessments plus the post-intervention follow-up assessment, whereas all
the other studies only reported effects at the post-intervention follow-up?
If there is a big contrast between the type of data included in the
dissertation compared to the type of data reported in the other studies,
then you might consider _excluding_ some or even many of the effects from
the dissertation, to better align the data from the dissertation with the
data reported in the other studies. Alternatively, it might make sense to
aggregate some or all of the dissertation effect sizes in order to arrive
at a composite that is better aligned with the data from the other studies.

To your question about taking the simple average versus a weighted average,
I think it depends on whether the effects being aggregated really have
meaningfully different sampling variances. For example, if the dissertation
reports effects for each of several sub-groups of participants, and the
subgroups have very different size, then taking the weighted average will
give a better approximation to the overall average effect than taking the
simple average. On the other hand, maybe the differences in the sampling
variances are mostly just noise, so it would be better to not use those
differences in variance to get an optimally weighted (inverse-variance)
average. Or, as a further possibility, you could take the average of the
sampling variances and use this for all of the effects. This smooths over
the noise in the sampling variances and also makes the simple average and
the weighted average equivalent.

I would guess that the issue you described with getting a negative average
effect is probably happening because of differences in the magnitude of the
sampling variances. A weird property of inverse-variance weighting in this
context is that they can assign negative weight to some effects, especially
if those effects have much larger variance than the other effects included
in the aggregate. Smoothing out the sampling variances would make this
problem go away.

James