[R-meta] Within-study variance in a multilevel meta-analytic model

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Thu Jan 11 09:00:36 CET 2024

Dear Tharaka,

The reviewer appears to be unfamiliar with meta-analysis in general. This has nothing to do with heteroscedasticity, but with accounting for variance/heterogeneity (between studies and effect sizes within studies in your case). In fact, in the standard random-effects model, we also add an observation-level (i.e., effect-size level) random effect, which is the whole point of the random-effects model (to allow for heterogeneity in the true effects).

For people unfamiliar with meta-analysis, this can be confusing, since in a standard linear regression model (or any standard mixed-effects model), such a random effect would be completely confounded with the error term and hence not identifiable. However, in meta-analysis, we do not have a standard error term whose variance we estimate, but we already have the pre-computed sampling variances of the estimates (which are indeed heteroscedastic, because the estimates will have different sampling variances).