[R-meta] robust error is smaller than model-based error

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Feb 16 05:18:05 CET 2024

Hi Yefeng,

On point 1, I am not sure what your question is. From inspecting the source
code of metafor::robust(), the function is not set up to handle models with
crossed random effects. I'm not at all sure what it does if you feed it a
model with crossed random effects, but I would be very cautious about
interpreting the output. Perhaps Wolfgang can comment on whether robust()
is meant to accommodate models with crossed random effects.

On point 2, I can verify that clubSandwich does not support CRVE for models
with crossed random effects. Cameron, Gelbach, and Miller (2011) describe
multi-way clustered standard errors, but only for ordinary least squares
models. As far as I am aware, the statistical theory for multi-way
clustered standard errors has not been developed for models that have
crossed random effects and the extension from Cameron, Gelbach and Miller
is not obvious. So if you want to stay on solid ground in terms of
statistical theory, I think your best approach might be just to do a good
job of developing and checking the model, and then rely on the model-based
SEs for inference.

James