[R-meta] Question about Meta analysis

Maximilian Steininger m@x|m|||@n@@te|n|nger @end|ng |rom un|v|e@@c@@t
Fri Apr 26 16:05:13 CEST 2024

Dear Wolfgang,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I also wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for your extremely well-documented resources. They are enormously helpful.

Indeed, creating the V matrix is not trivial, but your examples are a great guide. If it's not too much to ask (if it is, nevermind!) I would appreciate feedback on my approach. Here is an exemplary structure from my data, which captures all of the dependencies that I have in my real dataset.

Study 1: Between-study with one intervention and one control group.
Study 2: Between-study with two interventions and one control group.
Study 3: Within-study with one control and one intervention condition (assumed test-retest r = 0.9).
Study 4: Within-study with one control and two intervention conditions (assumed test-retest r = 0.9).
Study 5: Between-study with two experiments, each containing two interventions and one control group.
Study 6: Within-study in which two different (low correlation, r= .1) dependent variables were used (assumed test-retest r = 0.9).

This is the (made-up) data set:

studyid = c(1,rep(2,2),3,rep(4,2),rep(5,4),rep(6,2))
esid = c(1:12)
design = c(rep(1,3), rep(2,3), rep(1,4), rep(2,2))
subgroup = c(rep(1,8), rep(2,2), rep(1,2))
type = c(rep(1,11),2)
time1 = rep(1,12)
time2 = c(rep(1,3), rep(2,2), 3, rep(1,4), rep(2,2))
grp1 = c("e","e1","e2","e","e","e","e1","e2","e1","e2","e","e")
grp2 = rep("c",12)
ne = c(10,15,20,30,40,40,45,50,80,100,90,90)
nc = c(11,16,16,30,40,40,46,46,61,61,90,90)
yi = seq(0.1, 1.2, by = 0.1)
vi = rep(0.05, 12)
dat = cbind.data.frame(studyid, esid, design, subgroup, type, time1, time2, grp1, grp2, ne, nc, yi, vi)

This would be my V matrix:

V = vcalc(vi=vi, cluster = studyid, subgroup = subgroup, type = type, time1 = time1, time2 = time2, grp1 = grp1, grp2 = grp2, w1 = nc, w2 = ne, rho = 0.1, phi = 0.9, data = dat)

And this is how I would specify the meta-analytic model:

res <- rma.mv(yi, V, random = ~ 1 | studyid/esid, data=dat)

What still puzzles me about the V matrix is why no dependence for study 5 between experiment 1 and experiment 2 is modeled (which might be unnecessary because this is taken care of by the random effect structure of three-level model?) and why the correlation of the effects in study 4 is 0.95 and not equal to my specification of phi = 0.9.

I also have a follow-up question regarding the use of SMD with raw score standardization. Calculating SMD for within-designs based on the raw-score metric, as suggested by Becker (1988), induces the problem that most within-studies use a counterbalanced design, and therefore there is no clear SDpre. Can this be ignored, or how should one best deal with it?

Thank you very much for your support. If it is too tedious to answer all my questions, please just ignore them.

Best,
Max