[R-meta] converting Odds Ratio to Risk Ratio in CHE model

Dr. Gerta Rücker gert@@ruecker @end|ng |rom un|k||n|k-|re|burg@de
Thu Apr 18 13:41:19 CEST 2024

Just saw Wolfgang's post that metafor provides a function for the transformation.
The main message of both of us is that you need an evidence-based baseline risk.

Gerta

UNIVERSITÄTSKLINIKUM FREIBURG
Institute for Medical Biometry and Statistics

Dr. Gerta Rücker
Guest Scientist

Stefan-Meier-Straße 26 · 79104 Freiburg
gerta.ruecker using uniklinik-freiburg.de

https://www.uniklinik-freiburg.de/imbi-en/employees.html?imbiuser=ruecker

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: R-sig-meta-analysis <r-sig-meta-analysis-bounces using r-project.org> Im Auftrag von Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) via R-sig-meta-analysis
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 18. April 2024 13:24
An: Sicong Liu <64zone using gmail.com>; R Special Interest Group for Meta-Analysis <r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org>
Cc: Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) <wolfgang.viechtbauer using maastrichtuniversity.nl>
Betreff: Re: [R-meta] converting Odds Ratio to Risk Ratio in CHE model

I totally understand that part, but I am not quite sure which OR values you want to convert. If you fitted a model to standardized mean differences, then one cannot really transform the estimates from such a model to risk ratios (well, maybe, with a lot of creativity, but let's not go there). If you are simply asking how to convert ORs to RRs, then this can be done, but requires assuming a baseline risk. The transf.lnortorr() function in metafor will do this (to be precise, it transforms log odds ratios to risk ratios). For example, say the OR is 2.5. Then the corresponding RR is:

transf.lnortorr(log(2.5), pc=0.10)

2.17, assuming that the baseline risk is 10%. But if the baseline risk is 20%, then

transf.lnortorr(log(2.5), pc=0.20)

shows that the corresponding RR is 1.92.