[R-meta] Multilevel meta-analysis with a categorical moderator | subgroup analysis using meta-regression

Reza Norouzian rnorouz|@n @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Apr 17 01:33:50 CEST 2024

Hi Katharina,

The model that I linked to in my previous response is simply equivalent to
(and a shortcut for) running your "full.model" three times, each time
setting the "subset=" argument in your rma.mv() call to one of the
"pertype" categories (as Wolfgang correctly noted, make sure you profile
your variance estimates).

This shortcut is also nice as it allows you to test hypotheses that involve
one or more of the "pertype" categories from a single model.

Please feel free to clarify what you want to achieve and we may be able to
further assist you.

Reza

ps. It may also be useful to think about: why, in the first place, you want
to conduct a subgroup analysis? I usually conduct subgroup analysis of the
sort you inquired about when, among other things, (a) the categories of the
moderator of interest are theoretically quite distinct, (b) I'm not willing
to allow any "push-and-pull" between the categories of that moderator when
some of the studies contain more than one category of the moderator in
them, (c) there is a strong tradition that requires conducting this type of
subgroup analysis in the relevant field of research, and (d) the subgroup
shortcut model is indeed empirically (e.g., via AICc) superior to its
"push-and-pull" alternative (the "mod.pertype" model in your example).