[R-meta] GLMM issue with metaprop / meta package

Richter Dirk d|rk@r|chter @end|ng |rom b|h@ch
Wed Apr 10 12:03:40 CEST 2024

Wonderful, thanks, Wolfgang.
Re-installing Matrix and lme4 solved the problem.
Best wishes,
Dirk

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) <wolfgang.viechtbauer using maastrichtuniversity.nl>
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 10. April 2024 10:46
An: R Special Interest Group for Meta-Analysis <r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org>
Cc: Richter Dirk <dirk.richter using bfh.ch>
Betreff: RE: [R-meta] GLMM issue with metaprop / meta package

Dirk has kindly shared the data with me off-list. With:

m1 <- metaprop(event, n, studlab=paste(author, pubyear), data=metadata,
               method = "GLMM", control = list(verbose = TRUE))

Dirk is getting the error:

# Error in initializePtr() :
#  function 'chm_factor_ldetL2' not provided by package 'Matrix'

while the code runs just fine for me. Some searching leads to:

https://github.com/lme4/lme4/issues/763
https://stackoverflow.com/q/77481539/2615367

which indicates that this issue has nothing to do with meta/metafor or this specific dataset but that the error arises due an update in the Matrix package.

I would start with reinstalling the Matrix package and then lme4:

install.packages("Matrix")
install.packages("lme4")

To be on the safe side, restart R before and after doing so. One could also try installing lme4 from source as described in the links above, but this requires having everything set up for doing so on your computer and this shouldn't really be necessary. On a Windows machine that I just tried, everything works fine with metaprop() when everything is up-to-date.