[R-meta] "Favours experimental/vaccinated", "Favours control" - Metafor

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Mon Oct 30 15:45:57 CET 2023

Dear Andrzej,

In this example, the 2x2 table is of the form as shown here:

https://wviechtb.github.io/metadat/reference/dat.bcg.html#details-1

Since a low 'TB positive' count is desirable, a negative log risk ratio therefore indicates that the results of a study favor the vaccinated group.

But one could just as well have computed the log risk ratios with:

dat <- escalc(measure="RR", ai=cpos, bi=cneg,
                            ci=tpos, ti=tneg, data=dat)

In this case, a positive log risk ratio would indicate that the results favor the vaccinated group.

So, one really has to understand what is being computed and whether positive or negative values indicate which group is being favored.