[R-meta] Correcting Hedges' g vs. Log response ratio in nested studies

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Nov 2 16:40:58 CET 2023

One other thought on this question, for the extra-nerdy.

The formulas for the Hedges' g SMD estimator involve what statisticians
would call "second-order" bias corrections, meaning corrections arising
from having a limited sample size. In contrast, the usual estimator of the
LRR is just a "plug-in" estimator that works for large sample sizes but can
have small biases with limited sample sizes. Lajeunesse (2015;
https://doi.org/10.1890/14-2402.1) provides formulas for the second-order
bias correction of the LRR estimator with independent samples. These bias
correction formulas actually *would* need to be different if you
have clustered observations. So, the two effect size metrics are maybe more
similar than it initially seemed:
- Both metrics have plug-in estimators that are not really affected by the
dependence structure of the sample, but whose variance estimators do need
to take into account the dependence structure
- Both metrics have second-order corrected estimators, the exact form for
which does need to take into account the dependence structure.

James