[R-meta] Question Re: Correcting for Statistical Artifacts

Reza Norouzian rnorouz|@n @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri May 26 05:50:17 CEST 2023

Tori,

You may want to double-check with the psychmeta package's main author
(Brenton Wiernik), but the methods as implemented in the psychmeta
package don't seem to handle (multivariate) multilevel meta-regression
models which broadly incorporate nested models that you're referring
to.

In addition, the well-known sources of the biases (e.g., measurement
error, selection bias, ...) can potentially, if not commonly, occur
together in the primary studies. But the available corrections can't
simultaneously address those biases together (possibly they assume
addressing one reduces the negative impact of the other).

Also, I would imagine that the quantity and quality of the information
needed for these corrections could considerably impact the validity of
such corrections. In terms of quantity, for instance, if a good number
of the individual studies don't report their reliability estimates,
then depending on the situation, one may end up imputing them or
finding the reliability estimates from sources other than the primary
studies, if available. These could potentially create either
difficulty in implementing or uncertainty in terms of how well the
corrections might work.

In terms of quality, the corrections always work with (use as input)
*estimates* of, for instance, reliability or correlation reported in
the primary studies. As such, one may wonder how well those estimates
have done at representing their own *true values* in the first place
before being used to correct some source of bias. This again could
potentially create uncertainty in terms of how well the corrections
might work in practice.

Kind regards,
Reza