[R-meta] sandwhich estimator with geeglm object

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue May 2 04:39:29 CEST 2023

Hi Yefeng,

Yes, this is correct if we're speaking on a very broad level. Broadly,
geepack::geeglm() with an identity link function fits the same type of
model as nlme::gls(), but geepack::geeglm() uses sandwich variance
estimation whereas nlme::gls() uses model-based variance estimation.
Running nlme::gls() with clubSandwich::vcovCR() will give you sandwich
variance estimation. The CR1 and CR3 sandwich estimators can be calculated
from both packages for comparison purposes.

There is one other difference that should be noted though:
geepack::geeglm() uses moment estimators for the parameters of the working
model (such as variance coefficients, auto-correlation terms, etc.). In
contrast, nlme::gls() uses maximum likelihood or restricted maximum
likelihood estimation for these parameters. This difference in estimation
strategies can lead to numerical differences in the model coefficient
estimates calculated by the two packages  (and therefore also differences
in the sandwich standard errors generated by geepack::geeglm versus by
clubSandwich::vcovCR.gls).

James