[R-meta] sandwhich estimator with geeglm object

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon May 1 16:55:04 CEST 2023

Hi Yefeng,

geeglm is currently available in the development version of clubSandwich.
We are including support for GEE models because clubSandwich implements
small-sample corrections to the sandwich variance estimator and to the
degrees of freedom, which are not available in geepack. McCaffrey and Bell
(2006; https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.2502) showed that these small-sample
corrections perform better than the standard sandwich estimators and
large-sample test statistics implemented in geepack.

GEE is not equivalent to GLS. Rather, geepack::geeglm() is to glm() as
nlme::gls() is to lm(). GEE models allow non-linear link functions for the
conditional expectation of the outcome. Of course, gls is a special case of
geeglm with an identity link function (just as lm is a special case of
glm).

James