[R-meta] Meta - Bug with REML or small N?

Michael Dewey ||@t@ @end|ng |rom dewey@myzen@co@uk
Tue Mar 21 17:36:49 CET 2023

Dear Jorge

It looks as though the issue is that REML estimates tau^2 to be
effectively zero whereas DL has a positive estimate. The different ways
of estimating tau^2 do often differ, sometimes by quite surprising
amounts. Whether that is related to the smallish number of studies I
could not say but, at the moment, there does not seem to be evicence of
anything wrong with the implementation of REML.

Michael

On 21/03/2023 14:57, Jorge Teixeira via R-sig-meta-analysis wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Let me know if you need me to provide the data for this example.
> Screenshots in the bottom.
>
> I ran this MA with REML, and the weight for random and common effects
> are exactly the same! Never saw anything like this. t2values also don’t
> look plausible.
>
> *_#1_*
> vo2 <- metacont(en  , em, esd, cn, cm, csd, study, method.tau = "REML",
> prediction = TRUE, data = dat_vo2, sm = "MD")
> vo2
>
> Is this a bug or a particular issue of low number of studies and low
> sample size?
>
> *_#2_*
> vo2 <- metacont(en  , em, esd, cn, cm, csd, study, method.tau = "DL",
> prediction = TRUE, data = dat_vo2, sm = "MD")
> vo2
>
> I ran this with DL estimator and weights and t2are plausible. I also ran
> other similar MA using REML and this was all okay.
>
> #1 using SMD instead of MD also looks fine.
>

> Thanks,
> Jorge
>

> *_REML:_*
>
> image.png