[R-meta] sd of blups vs tau in RE model

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Fri Jun 30 12:20:27 CEST 2023

Please see below for my responses.

But this is not true as demonstrated with the code I provided.

>So, the first part of the above formula E(var(u_i|y_i)) is decreasing to 0 as K -
>> infinite. This is my understanding. I might be silly.

Please try out what happens when you change k to different values. It has no systematic effect on mean(blups$se^2).

>A relevant question is do you think it is meaningful to use the distribution of
>BLUPs to calculate something like "the proportion of the true effects above a
>certain value" to represent the heterogeneity?
>
>Let's use your numerical example to show my point:
>Say we want to know the proportion of the true effects (which are denoted by
>BLUPs) above 0,  we get a proportion of 0.5046695. Can we say the data is
>moderately heterogeneous?
>BLUP = 0
>Z = (BLUP - res$beta[1]) / sqrt(res$tau2)
>1 - pnorm(Z)

I am a bit confused by your question, as you are not using the BLUPs to compute this; you are using the estimated coefficient and value of tau^2. Also, looking at the proportion larger than 0 isn't the best example because this will be ~50% eithre way. So let's compare:

pnorm(0.1, coef(res), sqrt(res$tau2), lower.tail=FALSE)
mean(blups$pred > 0.1)

As you will see, these are not the same. The latter yields a smaller proportion since the distribution of the BLUPs is not as wide as the estimated distribution of true effects based on the model estimates. We can seee this with:

hist(blups$pred, freq=FALSE, breaks=50)
curve(dnorm(x, coef(res), sqrt(res$tau2)), add=TRUE, lwd=3)