[R-meta] sd of blups vs tau in RE model

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Fri Jun 30 09:38:59 CEST 2023

Dear Yefeng,

This was actually recently discussed on this mailing list:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/2023-May/004627.html

It is NOT true that the variance of the BLUPs will be equal to or approximate tau^2 when k is large. As I explain in that post, one can decompose tau^2 into two parts by the law of total variance. The variance of the BLUPs is only one part of this. To demonstrate:

library(metafor)

tau2 <- .02
k <- 2500
vi <- runif(k, .002, .05)
yi <- rnorm(k, 0, sqrt(vi + tau2))

res <- rma(yi, vi)
res$tau2
blups <- ranef(res)

# variance of the BLUPs (way too small as this is essentially only var(E(u_i|y_i)))
var(blups$pred)

# by adding what is essentially E(var(u_i|y_i)), we get (approximately) tau^2
var(blups$pred) + mean(blups$se^2)

The larger tau^2 is relative to the sampling variances, the less relevant mean(blups$se^2) will be (try running the code above with tau2 <- .2). But still, the variance of the BLUPs will underestimate tau^2.