[R-meta] Questions about multilevel meta-analysis structure

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Jul 24 05:04:24 CEST 2023

Hi Isaac,

If you think the effect size estimates from different sampling domains will
have correlated sampling errors, then I think it would make more sense to
use the V matrix without subgroups. In my previous reply, I suggested using
the subgroup argument in impute_covariance_matrix() (or the equivalent,
metafor::vcalc()) only as a trick for doing the equivalent of a subgroup
analysis, so that there is no borrowing of information across subgroups.
However, given that you're using a model that *does* involve borrowing (due
to use of struct = "HCS"), there's not the same rationale for removing the
between-subgroup correlations in the sampling errors. As in my previous
reply, I think the general principle is to use whatever assumptions are
most plausible.

James