[R-meta] Question on funnel plot interpretation

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Wed Jul 5 14:29:28 CEST 2023

Just to add this:

With such high heterogeneity, there is (IMHO) no point in using the regression test to examine the data for funnel plot asymmetry / publication bias / small study effects. The heterogeneity then 'overwhelms' the sampling variances, so the kinds of patterns we might want to detect via this (and related) methods are just not going to be there or are due to undetected moderators (which could lead to rather misleading conclusions about the potential presence of publication bias).