[R-meta] Meta-analysis of differences in variances from cross-over trials

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Wed Feb 22 13:44:48 CET 2023

Dear Lorenzo,

There are two issues here:

1) The type of outcome measure

If you want to focus on the variances (and not CVs), then why not use the (log transformed) variability ratio (measure="VR" in escalc())? The pooled effect can then be back-transformed via exponentiation and then squaring (predict(..., transf=function(x) exp(x)^2)), yielding an estimate of the ratio of the variances under the two conditions.

2) Cross-over trials

The difficulty here is that the variance in condition 1 and the variance in condition 2 is obtained from the same individuals. For this, you could use measure="VRC" but then you need to supply the correlation between the measurements under the two conditions. If this is unknown (presumably), then you will have to use a guestimate thereof.

Search for "VRC" in:

https://wviechtb.github.io/metafor/reference/escalc.html

for more details on this measure.