[R-meta] N of trials or participants?

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Wed Feb 1 12:42:54 CET 2023

Thanks for clarifying.

So let's say each subject goes through m trials on some task and either correctly identifies a target or not on a given trial. Let x_j denote the number of trials on which the target was correctly identified by the jth subject and so p_j = x_j/m would be the corresponding proportion of trials. It would be unusual that p_j is reported for the N subjects in the study. Typically, one might have the mean proportion (so: sum p_j / N) and the standard deviation of the proportions. If the subjects are actually in two groups/conditions, then one can just compute a standardized mean difference in the usual manner based on the two means and SDs. The number of trials (m) is not relevant for this.