[R-meta] Restricted cubic spline behaviour in moderator variable

Mick Girdwood M@G|rdwood @end|ng |rom |@trobe@edu@@u
Thu Aug 31 15:11:47 CEST 2023

Dear Wolfgang,

Thank you for your quick reply. You are right this is to do with the NA values, thank you. Those subtle NA differences ever so slightly affected knot position. That wouldn’t be an issue but as you point out, we are then using a different knot when using  attr(rcs(model.matrix(res.rcs)[,2], 4), "parms")

That alone didn’t fully explain my very aberrant plot that I saw. I tried playing around with subtle changes to knot positions (e.g. moving + - 1) and that to the naked eye actually made almost no change. The differences in the plots were because:

predict(model1,  newmods=rcspline.eval(seq(1,100, length = 100), knots, inclx=TRUE))) was using knot positions that were slightly different position to those that were parameterised in the model (because of how I incorrectly attained them), but in the predict/plot calculation this then resulted in stranger predicted points. Hence strange tail.

I guess I didn’t think of this, as when manually providing the knots, and then using the same predict and plot before, there obviously wasn’t any difference as they were based on exactly the same knot positions.

Thanks for your help here, I was going to resort to manually providing knots as per Harrell, 2015 recommendations (which is what rcs does?), but this will save some hassle.

Thanks
Mick