[R-meta] R-square (change) as effect size

Hanel, Paul H P p@h@ne| @end|ng |rom e@@ex@@c@uk
Sun Apr 23 20:15:38 CEST 2023

Hi Wolfgang,

Thank you.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I have the raw data for perhaps half of the studies.

I take that a meta-analysis would only be possible for the studies for which I have the raw data using the method outlined below, but not for the studies for which I only have the adjusted R-squares and adjusted R-square changes?

Best wishes,
Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) <wolfgang.viechtbauer using maastrichtuniversity.nl>
Sent: 20 April 2023 17:01
To: Hanel, Paul H P <p.hanel using essex.ac.uk>; R Special Interest Group for Meta-Analysis <r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org>
Subject: RE: [R-meta] R-square (change) as effect size

CAUTION: This email was sent from outside the University of Essex. Please do not click any links or open any attachments unless you recognise and trust the sender. If you are unsure whether the content of the email is safe or have any other queries, please contact the IT Helpdesk.

Sidenote: Posting in plain-text will prevent tables from getting scrambled up.

If you have the raw data, then this of course opens up many possibilities, especially for obtaining the sampling variances (and covariances) of whatever values you are interested in. In particular, one could use bootstrapping to obtain these values.

In particular, for each study, you could compute y_1 = (Rt2 - Rv2) for religiosity and y_2 = (Rt2 - Rv2) for well-being in each bootstrap sample and then use var(y_1) and var(y_2) from these bootstrap replicates as the sampling variance of the two estimates and cov(y_1, y_2) as their covariance. It would also be good to examine the bootstrap distributions of y_1 and y_2 to see if they are somewhat normal.

Then you can construct a dataset like this:

study estimate dv
1     y_1      religiosity
1     y_2      well-being

with the corresponding V matrix containing the 2x2 blocks with var(y_1), cov(y_1, y_2), and var(y_2).

And now you are in the exact same situation as this:

https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwviechtb.github.io%2fmetadat%2freference%2fdat.berkey1998.html&c=E,1,w6DcQI3Tp2q5TItSiACCatYNaeLukdqL9SBmZb879IY_lWR8NDfjK5dbJA3lFfU87sRlW-RIVr97ctb7JBu0hgn3oip1adl5nY6vYdEHmuHdRd_rsjEIQDbl&typo=1

so you can use

res <- https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2frma.mv&c=E,1,FxhB1OcOXdnxSGLwlT5Twnc73lbSgCIJF4GWiKLOOhov8809880vgxZXr7yyePTUsFMkm72qgpHZHMuyEcqJkJZsZ3YG7Bu17qHplkaxlBmt&typo=1(estimate, V, mods = ~ dv, random = ~ dv | study, struct="UN", data=dat)

to estimate the average difference between Rt2 and Rv2 for each DV and test if there is a difference between thenm.