[R-meta] Sample-size weighting of estimates of response ratios?

Will Hopkins w|||thek|w| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Apr 23 06:04:00 CEST 2023

There's no need for anyone to respond to my previous message below. I
mistakenly thought that somehow I could get proc mixed in SAS to estimate
the mean effect and the heterogeneity from a single mixed model, in which
the weighting of each study estimate was the sample size. But on a less
careless reading of Bakbergenuly et al. (2020), I see that they used
separate estimation equations for each of the mean effect, its confidence
interval, the heterogeneity, and its confidence interval.  I have reproduced
these equations with SAS one way and another. I used the usual inverse
variance weighting in a mixed model to get the heterogeneity and its
confidence interval; depending on sample sizes and so on, it's biased low,
and the coverage is below optimal, but there is no solution to these
problems. The mean effect is simply the sample-size weighted estimate, and
its confidence interval comes from Equation 7 in Bakbergenuly et al.,
combining the heterogeneity with sample sizes and study variances; these
both perform better than the usual estimates.

Bakbergenuly I, Hoaglin DC, Kulinskaya E. Estimation in meta-analyses of
response ratios. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2020;20(1):263.
doi:10.1186/s12874-020-01137-1

Will