[R-meta] R-square (change) as effect size

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Tue Apr 18 12:16:39 CEST 2023

Hi Paul,

What kind of data do you actually have? Do you have the two adjusted R^2 values for the two models of interest for each study? Or do you have studies where some provide the adjusted R^2 for the first model and other studies that provide the adjusted R^2 for the other model?

> Would it be possible to transform the adjusted R-square to make its distribution
> more normal, take its squareroot and then treat it as a correlation coefficient
> using rma()?

No, it's not that simple. Just to give a counter-example: Say you have a simple regression model of the form y = beta0 + beta1 x + e and take the R^2 value from that model. Then sqrt(R^2) is equal to the *absolute value* of the correlation between x and y. Since it is an absolute value, it isn't going to behave like a regular/signed correlation coefficient and cannot be treated as such.

>>> Wolfgang