[R-meta] Including subsections of test and overall test results in rma.mv

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Mon Apr 17 11:20:53 CEST 2023

Please see my responses below.

That wasn't my point. My point was that there are also correlations between the writing, reading, and speaking measures in studies that used/reported these subsections, but the dataset structure you showed does not include them. For example, for study 1, you showed:

study trait_scale test_outcome
1             epq      overall
1             epq      writing
1             epq      reading
1             epq     speaking

but in principle, the full 4x4 correlation matrix would lead to:

study        var1         var2
1             epq      overall
1             epq      writing
1             epq      reading
1             epq     speaking
1         writing      reading
1         writing     speaking
1         reading     speaking

(irrespective of whether in the end you are only be interested in the size of the epq-<var2> correlations).

In this case, the epq-overall correlation could be reconstructed and in that sense is redundant. However, since you are not including those additional correlations, one cannot reconstruct the epq-overall correlation.

>But I wonder
>how could that indicate that the relationship between the subsections of the test
>and their respective overall in each study is non-linear (btw, by relationship,
>we really mean the sampling distribution of the subsections and that of their
>overall tests are correlated, either linearly or non-linearly, right?)?

Not sure what you mean by that. The epq-overall correlation is equal to a (non-linear) function of the correlations in the 4x4 correlation matrix (see my previous reply). This has nothing to do with sampling distributions. It is simply:

r_epq_overall = (r_epq_writing + r_epq_reading + r_epq_speaking) /
                sqrt(3 + 2*r_writing_reading + 2*r_writing_speaking + 2*r_reading_speaking)

>Related to that is the fact that since studies differ in their subsections of the
>test, their respective overalls, thus, don't mean the same thing across the
>studies. So, the category "overall" doesn't seem to be a useful addition to the
>outcome variable insofar as the fixed effect (and correlated random-effects) of
>variable outcome is of interest.

Can't quite follow this either. Before, you said that you were specifically interested in "exploring the relationship mentioned above <<both>> in terms of the overall achievement test outcome as well as the subsections of the test outcomes." But now it sounds like you changed your mind.

But in any case, I don't have any further thoughts on whether including both the overall and the subsection correlations in the same analysis really makes sense. Again though, while computing something like cov(r_epq_overall, r_epq_writing) for the V matrix is possible, it will involve using the multivariate delta method and will require knowing the full 4x4 correlation matrix.