[R-meta] SMD Metric

Yuhang Hu yh342 @end|ng |rom n@u@edu
Mon Apr 3 21:20:05 CEST 2023

Sure, thanks. I think the trouble in my meta-analysis is that all studies
report means and sds, but these means and sds come from instruments that
likely differ in ways that I described in my previous post.

I'm sure for some instruments (perhaps the ones' using Likert scale) SMD
may be initially preferred over ROM, but for others ROM might be a better
choice as the means and sds often refer to counts or portions of counts.

The other thing is that even for those that seem to initially align better
with SMD, the cross-instrument differences that I described in my previous
post could potentially outweigh that SMD alignment such that some
methodologically induced heterogeneity may be introduced to the
meta-analysis of SMDs.

I may eventually compute both effect sizes and how they differ.

Thank you all,
Yuhang

PS. James, if I'm reading your website post correctly, it seems that you
define your SMD parameter for your binomial model using one of the group's
SD, but then you estimate that SMD parameter using escalc(measure="SMD")
which uses the pooled SDs of both groups.

--
Yuhang Hu (She/Her/Hers)
Ph.D. Student in Applied Linguistics