[R-meta] meta analysis of indirect effects metafor

Mike Cheung m|kew|cheung @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Sep 21 02:19:30 CEST 2022

Dear Anne,

Apart from Wolfgang's excellent explanation of the general issues, there
are additional issues in analyzing indirect effects. Here are some of them.

1) Interpreting the indirect effect alone may be misleading if we ignore
the direct effect. It is preferable to include both of them in the
meta-analysis.

2) It is well-known that the sampling distribution of the indirect effect
is nonnormal. This is why researchers prefer using the bootstrap confidence
interval in testing indirect effect in primary studies. As the effect size
is nonnormally distributed, the accuracy of the meta-analysis is
questionable. We have yet to see some empirical support for it.

3) When we conduct a meta-regression on the indirect effect, there is more
than one way to interpret the intercept and slope. For example,

(a*b) = β₀ + β₁*x, where a*b is the indirect effect and x is a covariate.

β₁ is usually interpreted as the expected change in the indirect effect
(a*b) when x increases 1 unit. However, there are also two equivalent
interpretations:

(i) a = β₀/b + β₁*(x/b), β₁ is the expected change in a when x increases 1
unit "given b is 1."

(ii) b = β₀/a + β₁*(x/a), β₁ is the expected change in b when x increases 1
unit "given a is 1."

Meta-analytic structural equation model (MASEM) may avoid these issues by
synthesizing correlation matrices instead of indirect effect. The following
paper has a more detailed discussion of these issues.

Cheung, M. W.-L. (2022). Synthesizing indirect effects in mediation models
with meta-analytic methods. Alcohol and Alcoholism, 57(1), 5–15.
https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agab044

Best,

Mike