[R-meta] Calculation of variance of ratio of means from summary statistics

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Oct 5 16:36:42 CEST 2022

Hi Mick,

Wolfgang's response is spot on, but I'll add a few other notes.

Wolfgang noted that degree to which the mean of ratios (MoR) corresponds to
the ratio of means (RoM) depends on how far away the means are from zero.
That is not the only factor--the correspondence also depends on the
variation in the individual ratios (i.e., the variance of the LSIs, in your
context) and the correlation between the ratio and the baseline level. If
you call the measurements for an individual participant A and B, and let R
= B / A denote the individual ratio, then
E(B) / E(A) = E(R x A) / E(A) = E(R) + Cov(R, A) / E(A) = E(R) + cor(R,A) x
SD(R) x SD(A) / E(A).
Thus, if there is individual-level heterogeneity in the LSIs--so that SD(R)
is big--and if the LSIs correlate with the individual measurements, then
RoM will differ from MoR. So, all the more reason to use moderator analysis
to account for the difference in metrics.

Besides moderator analysis, another approach would be possible if you have
a substantial number of studies where you can compute BOTH the RoM and the
MoR. If you can get both measures for enough studies, then you could treat
the pair as a bivariate ES measure and use a bivariate meta-analysis to
account for the difference between metrics. Here, you need to have enough
studies with both RoM and MoR in order to estimate the average difference
between the metrics and the correlation between the metrics. But then you
can still include other studies that only report RoM or only report MoR.

James