[R-meta] phylogenetic information in both moderator and random part of rma.mv?

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Sun Oct 2 12:49:14 CEST 2022

1|id is an 'observation-level random effect'. This is one of the core elements of a meta-analysis to model heterogeneity (i.e., variance) in the underlying true outcomes. In a standard linear regression-type model (or mixed-effects model), it is not possible to add such a random effect, because it is completely confounded with the error term (the error term in a standard regression model *is* an observation-level random effect). However, in meta-analytic models, it is possible to add such a random effect, because the model does not contain a separate error term -- the sampling variances of the errors are fed into the model as known constants.