[R-meta] Does trim and fill method correct for data falsification or lower quality of small studies?

towhidi towh|d| @end|ng |rom ut@@c@|r
Tue May 3 01:37:04 CEST 2022

Dear all,

The asymmetry in a funnel plot can be caused by factors other than
publication bias, such as data falsification or poorer quality in
smaller trials. However, the Cochrane Handbook mentions that "the trim
and fill method does not take into account reasons for funnel plot
asymmetry other than publication bias".

I do not understand why it cannot account for data falsification or poor
quality of small trials, assuming that these characteristics are
associated with study size. For data falsification, the true observed
effect size (before the fraudulent change in the data) for these studies
converges on the true underlying effect size. But the falsified data
move these data points to the right side, and, using the trim and fill
method, this bias is neutralized by imputing their counterparts on the
other side. Of course, the confidence intervals will be biased, because
we are imputing data points that do not exist (which narrows the CI) and
that the bias arose from data falsification or low quality has added to
the estimated sampling variance (which widens the CI). Also, it changes
the weights, especially in the random-effects model.

But, isn't the point estimate a corrected estimate, assuming that data
falsification has caused the asymmetry?

The same argument may apply to the bias that arises from low-quality
studies. However, if this is correct, I think that acknowledging this
and interpreting the CIs with even more caution is more logical than
assuming that the asymmetry is caused solely by publication bias and
that misconduct and low quality of small studies have nothing to do with
it.

Is this correct? Or I am missing something?

Thank you.

--
Ali Zia-Tohidi MSc
Clinical Psychology