[R-meta] rule of thumb miminum number of studies per factor level meta-regression

Tue Mar 29 12:35:36 CEST 2022

Hi Frank,

I would say that essentially all conclusions from moderator analyses (whether done by meta-regression, some kind of ANOVA-analogue, subgrouping, or some other technique) are hypothesis generating. Cooper calls this 'synthesis-generated evidence' (in contrast to study-generated evidence, which can be obtained by randomly assigning participants to different levels of a potential moderator of a treatment effect). His book 'Research synthesis and meta-analysis' discusses this distinction.