[R-meta] Question regarding metarate calling the Poisson model for meta-analysis

Thu Mar 24 12:49:08 CET 2022

Dear Roel,

If you are looking at cumulative proportions, then I would personally just use a binomial/logistic model. If studies differ in terms of the time periods (e.g., one study provides the cumulative proportion at 30 days while another at 90 days), then this could be accounted for via a moderator in a logistic mixed-effects meta-regression model. rma.glmm() with measure="PLO" can do this.

If you have multiple proportions for the same group of individuals at various follow-up timepoints, then things get more tricky. First of all, when you say "cumulative proportion at 30 days, at 90 days", do you mean that the first proportion is for number of cases between 0-30 days and the second proportion is for the number of cases (among the non-cases left over after 30 days) between 30-90 days? Or do you mean that the first proportion is for the number of cases between 0-30 days and the second proportion is for the number of cases between 0-90 days?

In any case (pun intended), these proportions are not independent of each other. Some relevant articles:

Trikalinos, T. A. & Olkin, I. (2012). Meta-analysis of effect sizes reported at multiple time points: A multivariate approach. Clinical Trials, 9(5), 610-620. https://doi.org/10.1177/1740774512453218

Trikalinos, T. A. & Olkin, I. (2008). A method for the meta-analysis of mutually exclusive binary outcomes. Statistics in Medicine, 27(21), 4279-4300. https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.3299

You will find this dataset and the corresponding analysis here:

https://wviechtb.github.io/metadat/reference/dat.fine1993.html

This is actually a slightly more complex case where the outcome is the (log) odds ratio contrasting two conditions. The same principle applies for single groups, except that the outcome would then just me the log odds for individual groups. Note that a 'normal' model is used in this analysis, not a logistic mixed-effects model (for the latter, you would need the raw data).