[R-meta] H2 in the context of rma.mv

Werner, M.A. (Marlene) m@@@werner @end|ng |rom @m@terd@mumc@n|
Thu Mar 17 18:48:43 CET 2022

Dear all,

I have a question about retrieving or calculating the H2 statistic in the context of fitting a multilevel (random effects) model with rma.mv.
Can the H2 statistic be calculated or retrieved based on rma.mv output? I cannot seem to find it in the rma.mv output. My apologies if I am just plainly overseeing it.
Or does it actually not make sense to calculate it in the context of a multilevel model, considering it is not straightforward which heterogeneity variance to use?

To provide a reproducible example:

library(metafor)
dat <- dat.konstantopoulos2011

res2 <- rma.mv(yi, vi, random = ~ 1 | district/study, data=dat)

vs <- ((res2$k-1)* sum(1/res2$vi, na.rm = TRUE))/((sum(1/res2$vi, na.rm = TRUE))^2-sum((1/res2$vi)^2, na.rm = TRUE))
H2 <- (res2$sigma2[1] + vs)/vs

Does the above make sense (I followed the equation on p. 250 of the metafor reference manual)? Or is the H2 easily retrievable in another way?

Thank you and all the best,

Marlene