[R-meta] Background on large meta analysis with RCT and single-arm studies

Thu Mar 10 13:59:01 CET 2022

Can you describe the design of these studies? Are they also one-group pretest-posttest design? And what exactly do you mean by "adjusted mean differences"? Adjusted/computed how?

As for comparing SMD with SMCR -- that's actually what I said you could do, under the caveats mentioned about the various sources of invalidity that may impact one-group pretest-posttest designs.

From: R-sig-meta-analysis [mailto:r-sig-meta-analysis-bounces using r-project.org] On Behalf Of David Pedrosa
Sent: Thursday, 10 March, 2022 11:18
To: David Pedrosa; r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-meta] Background on large meta analysis with RCT and single-arm studies

Hi Wolfgang,

wow, that's a marvellous answer which helps me quite a lot and gives me something to brood over! Especially the second part with your thoughts about the meta-regression with different study types.

One thing that I have been wondering all the time is whether it is valid to compare different forms of effect sizes. I have some studies that I preferred to discard since there were only "adjusted mean differences" with their post-test SD reported and the authors were reluctant to share their other data. According to my understanding it would not be reasonable to compare SMD with let's say SMCR, which I personally find more intuitive. Is that correct?

Best and thanks again for the quick reply and this whole package with all that goes with it.

Best,

David

David