[R-meta] Questions about the use of metaprop for the pooling of proportions

Dr. Gerta Rücker ruecker @end|ng |rom |mb|@un|-|re|burg@de
Tue Mar 8 13:27:31 CET 2022

Dear Thiago, dear Michael,

I read this thread and I still am not clear about the nature of the
data. Are these really compositional data, or simple proportions? The
difference is:

  * Compositional data are characterized by lacking a denominator (no
    "n", no sample size). For each study, you have only percentages that
    add to 100%. Such data occur in microbioma research (percentages of
    species in the microbioma).
  * By contrast, proportions are given as r (number of events) and n
    (sample size, i.e., number of persons/patients/trials/whatever), or
    as percentages and n.

If you have proportions, you may use metaprop. If you have compositional
data, as Michael supposed, you cannot.

Best,

Gerta