[R-meta] Questions about the use of metaprop for the pooling of proportions

Michael Dewey ||@t@ @end|ng |rom dewey@myzen@co@uk
Mon Mar 7 17:40:49 CET 2022

Dear Thiago

What you have is compositional data which might prove a useful search
term. A common way to analyse such data is by taking the ratios of the
components to a reference one and then taking logs. However that is
about the sum total of my knowledge of compositional data analysis and
as far as I know there is no extant R package which deals with it.
Others on the list may have better ideas.

For future reference if you post on CrossValidated it is best to put a
link in each of them so people can check if it has already been answered
in the other place.

Michael

On 06/03/2022 16:36, Thiago Roza wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am conducting a meta-analysis about characteristics of suicide
> deaths in post-mortem studies. My aim is to describe pooled
> proportions of key characteristics (biological sex, suicide site,
> race, marital status, suicide method, the proportion of substance use
> near death, proportion of psychiatric diagnosis prior to death, etc)
> across the included studies. Initially, I thought that "metaprop" from
> the package "meta" would be enough to pool all these proportions
> across included studies. Nevertheless, some of these variables have
> more than one category (i.e. suicide method has more than 10
> categories: such as hanging, firearm, poisoning, etc), and the pooling
> of the proportion of each suicide method separately produces results
> which when summed up give more than 100% for the summed proportion of
> all suicide methods. Therefore, my first question is: is it possible
> to pool all those proportions using "metaprop"? If yes, could anyone
> give an example about the coding for the pooling of proportions in the
> case of suicide methods? If not, is there any other package that would
> allow me to pool the aggregate proportion of suicide methods?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Thiago Roza

Michael
http://www.dewey.myzen.co.uk/home.html