[R-meta] 4-Level analysis in metafor

Fri Mar 4 17:56:05 CET 2022

Hi Jordan,

Sure it can. We have done 5-level models (including another crossed random effect) with rma.mv():

https://wviechtb.github.io/metadat/reference/dat.mccurdy2020.html

How well the variance components can be estimated depends of course on how much data you have. And it can certainly happen that one components ends up being estimated to be (close to) zero.

I wouldn't bother removing that one level - that happens implicitly/automatically when a variance component is estimated to be 0.