[R-meta] High heterogeneity and publication bias in mean difference meta-analysis

Guido Schwarzer @c @end|ng |rom |mb|@un|-|re|burg@de
Wed Jun 29 21:43:04 CEST 2022

Dear Martin,

First some comments on posts to r-sig-meta-analysis. Please only send
emails to the address used in my reply (see
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-sig-meta-analysis). Furthermore,
as Gerta, Matthias and Wolfgang are all subscribers of this list, there
is no need to send the email twice to them.

As I do not know the specifics of your data I can only make some general
comments.

You have considerable between-study heterogeneity with I2 values above
90%. The first step is to check whether your study data is correct. For
example, taking a standard error as a standard deviation can result in a
very narrow confidence interval in a study leading to excessive
between-study heterogeneity.

The funnel plot asymmetry in the third group is due to smaller /
imprecise studies having different results than larger / more precise
studies. This could either be due to clinical heterogeneity or bias. You
could conduct meta-regression if you have data for potential effect
modifiers. A contour-enhanced funnel plot could be used to evaluate
whether the funnel plot asymmetry is due to publication bias, i.e.,
small studies are only published if they are statistically significant.

There are several other possibilities to evaluate small study effects
using R (see sections "Investigating small study bias" and "Unobserved
studies" on https://cran.r-project.org/web/views/MetaAnalysis.html).

Best,

Guido

--
Dr. Guido Schwarzer
Institute of Medical Biometry and Statistics,

Postal address: Zinkmattenstr. 6a, D-79108 Freiburg

Mail: sc using imbi.uni-freiburg.de
Homepage: https://www.imbi.uni-freiburg.de/

ORCID iD: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-6214-9087
R-book: https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319214153