[R-meta] min sample size for three random variables in meta-analysis

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Thu Jul 28 12:41:26 CEST 2022

Dear Jose,

With this little data, you are not going to get accurate estimates of the variance components (in fact, the model may even be overparameterized, but I cannot easily check this without a fully reproducible example). Hence, I wouldn't put much trust into the findings.

In general, I am not aware of any useful rules though that one could use to decide on an appropriate model complexity in this context. In the multilevel literature, one sometimes finds suggestions that there should be at least a certain number (e.g., 10) of upper-level units (e.g., schools) before one can consider using random effects at that level. But these rules are typically overly simplistic and have not been examined in the meta-analytic context as far as I know.

You might have to stick to a simpler (e.g., standard random-effects model) for this analysis and note that phylogenetic relatedness could not be accounted for due to the small sample size.