[R-meta] Meta-analysis of prevalence data: back-transformation and polytomous data

Röver, Christian chr|@t|@n@roever @end|ng |rom med@un|-goett|ngen@de
Thu Feb 24 09:43:27 CET 2022

Dear Jakub,

I think Schwarzer et al. (2019; https://doi.org/10.1002/jrsm.1348) have
a valid point, and that the double arcsine transform is not really
suitable for meta-analysis purposes. The approach by Barendregt et al.
(2013; https://doi.org/10.1136/jech-2013-203104) seems to me more like
a kind of workaround, and I am not sure whether it will actually work
generally, or would only "fix" the issue (or at least won't fail
immediately) in some cases.

I guess a quick and simple solution might be to go for the ("simple")
arcsine transformation instead, or otherwise check out one of the more
appropriate alternative approaches that were pointed out by Schwarzer
et al. (2019).

Cheers,

Christian