[R-meta] unsigned effect sizes

Daniel Noble d@n|e|@w@@nob|e @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Feb 12 02:33:37 CET 2022

Hi James,

A great question! Yes, this is something quite common in ecology and evolution meta-analyses. There are some nice papers you may want to consult by Mike Morrissey. Here are a few references.

Morrissey, M. B. (2016). Meta-analysis of magnitudes, differences and variation in evolutionary parameters. J. Evol. Biol. 29, 1862-1904.

Morrissey, M. B. (2016).. Rejoinder: Further considerations for meta-analysis of transformed quantities such as absolute values. J. Evol. Biol. , 29: 1922–1931.

Basically it involves transforming ‘post-analysis’ to a folded normal. I’ve used it myself in a Bayesian context. It’s quite easy to do there. Hope this is useful and what you’re thinking about.

Cheers,
Dan
_______________

Dr. Daniel Noble
Senior Lecturer

Division of Ecology and Evolution (office W317),
Research School of Biology,
College of Science,
Robertson Building,
46 Sullivans Creek Road,