[R-meta] questions on some functions in metafor and clubsandwich

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Feb 10 03:57:48 CET 2022

Hi Brendan,

The option to "smooth" the sampling variances (i.e., averaging them
together across effect size estimates from the same sample) can be helpful
for two reasons. The main one (as discussed in the original RVE paper by
Hedges, Tipton, and Johnson, 2010) is that effect size estimates from the
same sample often tend to have very similar sampling variances, and the
main reason for differences in sampling variances could be effectively
random error in their estimation. Smoothing them out within a given sample
might therefore cut down on the random error in the sampling variance
estimates. Further, if inference is based on RVE, then we don't need
sampling variances that are exactly correct anyways, so we have a fair
amount of "wiggle room" here.

A secondary reason that smoothing can be helpful is that it avoids some
weird behavior that can happen when you use inverse-variance weights (which
is what we usually do) and a correlated effect structure with *dis-similar*
sampling variances. If the sampling variances of the effect size estimates
from a given sample are far from equal, then you can end up in a situation
where the effect sizes with the largest sampling variances end up getting
*negative* weight in the overall meta-analysis. I gave an example of this
recently in the context of aggregating effect sizes prior to analysis:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/2022-January/003728.html
But effectively the same thing can happen also implicitly in a
meta-analytic model.

James