[R-meta] Question about escalc, proportion ES, and nested data

Wed Feb 2 11:17:09 CET 2022

Dear Jordan,

Please see below for my responses.

"PLO" is for binomial data, which is not what you appear to have. A logit transformation may in itself be useful for proportions (however derived), but the calculation of the sampling variance in escalc() assumes that each proportion was calculated based on a random variable that follows a binomial distribution.

Ideally, one would need the standard errors of the proportions, which should come from whatever method/model was used to obtain those proportions. Then one can use the delta method to obtain the sampling variances of the logit-transformed proportions.

Getting the covariance between sampling errors would be even more difficult (multiple proportions obtained from the same sample will have non-zero correlations between the sampling errors).

>  2.  Would this structure be acceptable: rma.mv(yi, vi, random = ~ 1 |
>study_id/sample_id/timepoint_id, data=dat)?

Possibly, but it is impossible to answer this properly without further details. For example, this model assumes constant correlation across timepoints, regardless of how far they are apart.

And as noted above, this model would not account for non-independent sampling errors.