[R-meta] formula for calculating variance

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Thu Dec 15 19:44:58 CET 2022

Dear Sicong,

No, this would not be correct, because that equation for the sampling variance of d assumes that one has means and SDs available for the two groups. The proper way to compute the sampling variance of d when it was obtained by converting the log odds ratio to d involves applying the appropriate transformation to the variance of the log odds ratio. For example, one commonly used method for converting a log odds ratio to d is:

d = sqrt(3) / pi * logOR.

Then the variance of d is given by:

var(d) = 3 / pi^2 * var(logOR),

where var(logOR) is typically estimated as you point out with 1/A + 1/B + 1/C + 1/D.

PS: When posting to this mailing list with a new topic, don't just reply to a previous message and change the subject. The reply message still contains information about the original thread. When you do this, the threading in the archives is messed up. See:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/2022-December/thread.html

(your post should be a new thread, not a reply to James' last message).