[R-meta] Interpreting variance components in rma.mv

Yuhang Hu yh342 @end|ng |rom n@u@edu
Mon Aug 22 06:28:02 CEST 2022

Dear James,

Thank you. You noted that using estimates of average effect and total
variation (in sd unit) ignores the fact that these quantities are
themselves estimates and not fixed values.

But can't we use the lower and upper limits of these estimates' own CIs to
obtain the a range to supplement A in the following calculations?

A:
pnorm(0, average_effect, average_total_variation, lower.tail = FALSE)

B:
pnorm(0, lower_average_effect, lower_total_variation, lower.tail = FALSE)

pnorm(0, upper_average_effect, upper_total_variation, lower.tail = FALSE)

Best,
Yuhang

--
Yuhang Hu (She/Her/Hers)