[R-meta] specification of phi in vcalc

Danielle Hiam d@n|e||e@h|@m @end|ng |rom de@k|n@edu@@u
Wed Aug 3 08:54:48 CEST 2022

Hello,

I am running a meta-analysis that has nested data and dependent effect sizes (multiple timepoints). Therefore, I need to take into account effect sizes that are correlated and also cluster within studies. I will run vcalc, then the rma.mv function and then use robust with clubsandwich set to true to "correct" for any mis-specification of the model. However, I am looking for some clarification regarding how to "guess" the value for phi in the vcalc function, R code: V <- vcalc(FC_SD, cluster, time1=Time_NUM, data, phi=0.6).

When I change phi from 0.6 to 0.8 in vcalc I get very different results from the meta-analysis (rma.mv followed by robust(.... Clubsanwich=T). I have read James Pustejovsky paper (DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11121-021-01246-3) on this, where he suggests that in situations where no information is available, the meta-analyst might pick a plausible value and then conduct sensitivity analysis across a range reasonable values. How would I go about this?

Any information regarding specification of phi would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Danielle

Deakin University
Melbourne Burwood Campus, 221 Burwood Highway, Burwood VIC 3125
danielle.hiam using deakin.edu.au
ipan.deakin.edu.au
Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code: 00113B

Stay connected with IPAN
Facebook        Twitter

Important Notice: The contents of this email are intended solely for the named addressee and are confidential; any unauthorised use, reproduction or storage of the contents is expressly prohibited.
If you have received this email in error, please delete it and any attachments immediately and advise the sender by return email or telephone. Deakin University does not warrant that this email and any attachments are error or virus free.