[R-meta] Predictive interval in MA with less than 10 studies

Thu Sep 30 17:11:26 CEST 2021

Using a t-distribution with df=k-2 for constructing the PI was suggested as a heuristic way to account for the fact that two parameters are estimated in the RE model (mu and tau^2), not as a way of allowing for a non-normal distribution of the random effect (in the latter case, you have to fit the model itself differently).

I don't know exactly what meta does, but metafor does this:

https://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/faq#for_random-effects_models_fitt

There is also a (currently undocumented) argument for predict() called 'pi.type'. If you set pi.type="riley", then you get the PI with t(df=k-2), or really df=k-p-1, where p is the number of fixed effects estimated (since one can also compute PIs for meta-regression models and I just implemented the logical extension of df=k-2) and really really df=k-p-q, where q denotes the number of variance/correlation components estimated, since one can also compute PIs for more complex models with more than just a single tau^2.

But in all of these cases, the model itself assumes normally distributed random effects.