[R-meta] When to skip an extra level?

Philippe Tadger ph|||ppet@dger @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Sep 16 12:53:36 CEST 2021

Dear Wolfgang, Tim

Thank you for bringing such interesting topic. What do you think in
using the profile likelihood (PL) exploration of the variance-covariance
parameters to see if exist any difference between a) full model with 3
levels,  b) model with 2 levels (sample error and paper level) c) model
with 2 levels (sample error and outcome level). The PL have been propose
as a way to check the assumption that the likelihood is indeed
identifiable, additionally it is implemented in metafor.