[R-meta] Clarification on ranef.rma.mv()

Mon Sep 13 20:17:00 CEST 2021

Going back to the earlier example:

library(nlme)
fm2 <- lme(distance ~ age, random = ~ age | Subject, data = Orthodont)
rePCA_lme(fm2)

This is essentially:

svd(chol(as.matrix(getVarCov(fm2))))$d / sigma(fm2)
svd(chol(as.matrix(getVarCov(fm2))))$u

Doing the same with rma.mv():

library(metafor)
Orthodont$id <- 1:nrow(Orthodont)
fm3 <- rma.mv(distance ~ age, 0, random = list(~ age | Subject, ~ 1 | id), struct="GEN", data = Orthodont)
svd(chol(fm3$G))$d / sqrt(fm3$sigma2)
svd(chol(fm3$G))$u

No idea how to interpret this and whether the idea underlying this generalizes to the case where each yi value has its own variance (instead of estimating a single residual variance).