[R-meta] The correct formula for variance when using SMCR

Colin Tredoux co||n@tredoux @end|ng |rom uct@@c@z@
Thu Sep 9 12:54:41 CEST 2021

Dear Wolfgang Viechtbauer, or other parties who may be able to comment:

Thanks so much for your very useful R package, Metafor.

One question, if I may ask it, concerns a section in the code file escalc.R lines 1878 to 1883, for computing SMCR
(https://github.com/wviechtb/metafor/blob/master/R/escalc.r)

### large sample approximation to the sampling variance (using corrected (!) equation from Borenstein, 2009)
               if (vtype[i] == "LS2")
                  vi[i] <- cmi[i]^2 * (2*(1-ri[i])/ni[i] + di[i]^2 / (2*ni[i]))
                  #vi[i] <- cmi[i]^2 * 2*(1-ri[i]) * (1/ni[i] + di[i]^2 / (2*ni[i])) # as in  Borenstein (2009) but this is incorrect

            }

I am wondering which article by Borenstein you are referring to?  The chapter in the second edition of the Handbook?
Has it been corrected in the third edition?
I see that there might be an inconsistency between the formula reported by Becker (1988) and by Borenstein, but am wondering if that is because it is not an SMCR he outlines there.

Bottom line - if you have a moment to indicate what the mistake is, I would appreciate that.  I will be using Metafor to run a meta-analysis very soon, and am considering using SMCR as the effect size, but am a little concerned about potential formula issues.

--
Colin Tredoux

Disclaimer - University of Cape Town This email is subject to UCT policies and email disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/main/email-disclaimer or obtainable from +27 21 650 9111. If this email is not related to the business of UCT, it is sent by the sender in an individual capacity. Please report security incidents or abuse via https://csirt.uct.ac.za/page/report-an-incident.php.