[R-meta] Negative r value for effect sizes within studies

Fri Sep 3 19:06:31 CEST 2021

Dear Stefanou,

Would be unusual, but in principle, yes, it can. However, only certain values of r are actually possible. Let's say there is a study with 5 estimates and you assume r = -0.6. Then the correlation matrix for this study would be:

v <- matrix(-.6, 5, 5); diag(v) <- 1

which is not positive definite, which we can see by examining its eigenvalues:

round(eigen(v)$values, 4)

(note the last eigenvalue is negative). The largest negative correlation possible when p=5 (to get at least a positive semi-definite matrix) is -0.25:

v <- matrix(-.25, 5, 5); diag(v) <- 1
round(eigen(v)$values, 4)

(the last eigenvalue is now essentially 0).

More generally, the lower bound is:

-1/(p-1)

So, you need to determine which study has the largest number of estimates and based on that, you know what the lower bound for r is (at least, when we assume that the correlation matrix is compound symmetric - as above).